Best ever avocado and shrimp pasta salad, this is the perfect summer picnic food or barbeque side. Fresh flavors, lavish textures, what more could you ask from a seasonal pasta salad. How about some lovely Argentinian shrimp!
Summer is for dishes like this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad!
I feel blessed as I have plenty of childhood summer memories. Almost every weekend we were going to the lake and we would have these picnic feasts. My parents would make potato salad, marinated steaks, sausages, corn, and also lovely pasta salads. It was a wonderful time of gathering and enjoying life. Today we are sharing this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad, and it is a tasty one at that.
Time to get into the kitchen with us and let Nicoletta and I show you how easy and quick this salad is to make!
Utensil and kitchen things you will need:
- large pot for cooking pasta
- baking sheet
- salute pan
- food processor or hand held blender
- cutting board
- chopping knife
- salad spoons
Let's gather up the ingredients
We are huge advocates for great quality ingredients. We shop at our local farmers markets and organic grocery store. I guarantee you, the end result will be fabulous. For pasta, we usually look for a good brand. What you want to look for is that rough matt finish pasta, this means amazing texture and flavor that will stick to the pasta incredibly! Gather up the ingredients so we can get started:
- penne pasta
- ripe avocado
- evo oil
- parsley, cilantro
Here is how you make the Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad
What I really love about pasta salad is how easy it is and doesn't take a lot of time. Nicoletta and I worked together, which made it that much more special and effortless. This is how we make it:
- Put a large pot of salted water on boil. Cook the pasta for the required time on the package, strain and lay the cooked pasta on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and mix.
- While the pasta is cooking, drizzle in some olive oil and a pat of butter into a sauté pan. Turn on to a medium heat, place the shrimp in, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a short time, when they turn a lovely orange to red color, the shrimp are done. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut avocado in half, take out the pit, and chop it up. Place pasta in a large bowl, zest and squeeze the lime in, then add the avocado and mix.
Time to get some creaminess into this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad!
We used two avocados for this recipe. One sliced and diced, and furthermore the other pureed in a food processor. You can also use a hand held blender for this process. I used some of the lime juice in with the avocado and also a bit more olive oil and water, to get that creaminess.
Let's finish putting together this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad:
- Spoon in the pureed avocado into the bowl with the pasta and chopped avocado, season with black pepper, and mustard. Toss with the salad spoon until the avocado is well incorporated.
- Throw in shrimp, chopped parsley and cilantro, and give another good toss. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed to your liking.
- We are done!
I just have to taste it!
Wow, talk about flavor! The pasta is perfect with that nice bite to it and nutty in flavor. Pairs so well in the creaminess and chunkiness of the avocado. The lime is just right, not too acidic and just enough brightness to bump up the flavors.
I love that hit of mustard and together with the herbs gives us the freshness we so want in a summer dish. Let's talk about that shrimp, we used Argentinian shrimp which has the lovely flavor of the sea. Perfectly cooked with a wonderful tenderness, and oh so buttery and succulent. Absolutely fabulous. More so as a whole, this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad hits every mark for a lovely picnic or outdoor meal. We loved it!
If one were to ask me what seasons do I like best, I will be quick to say the sunny ones, lol. Spring brings with it a freshness, and summer the joyfulness of being outdoors in that oh-so-enveloping warmth and joyfulness. We could not think of a better dish to have outside in our little oasis than this Best Ever Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad!
Thanks for joining us in our kitchen, and most of all have fun in your kitchen and truly enjoy this recipe! From both Nicoletta and I, Loreto!
- 280 g penne pasta
- 2 ripe avocados
- 300 g deveined, and washed shrimp, shells off
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons evo oil
- Place a large pot of salted water on boil. Taste the water, it should taste like a light broth, not too salty. Throw in penne and cook for the required time on the package. We always taste the pasta and make sure it is cooked to that al dente texture.
- Drain and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and give it a stir, set aside.
- While pasta is cooking we can get the shrimp ready. Drizzle olive oil into a sauté pan. Add a pat of salted butter and bring to a medium heat.
- Throw in shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 6-8 minutes. When shrimp turn an orange to red color it usually means they are done!
- Turn off heat and place shrimp into a bowl to cool.
- Take avocados, and with a knife cut in half. Twist and separate, take out the pit. Scoop the insides of one avocado onto a cutting board and slice up into small pieces. Toss into a large serving bowl with the pasta.
- The other avocado we are going to scoop out onto the cutting board and chop up.
- Place that into a food processor and add a squeeze of lime juice, some olive oil, and a tablespoon of water. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Pour that into the bowl with the pasta and sliced avocado. Season with some pepper, and add mustard, along with a good squeeze of lime. Give it a good toss until the avocado is well incorporated and coating the pasta well.
- Add in the shrimp and chopped fresh cilantro and parsley. Another good toss, taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- Ready to serve.
You can use a hand blender to cream the avocado.
If you do not like cilantro, omit. Chives or lemon basil could be a good alternative with the parsley.
Use your favorite short pasta like fusilli, cavatelli, mezze penne, lumache, etc.
Best to serve this pasta salad the same day and eat it fresh, then the avocado oxidizes and gets darker in color. Keep it covered in the refrigerator until half hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dish/salad
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: summer recipe, Pasta salad, Argentinian shrimp, cilantro, parsley, mustard, picnic dish, sides dish, avocado
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.