- 280 g penne pasta
- 2 ripe avocados
- 300 g deveined, and washed shrimp, shells off
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons evo oil
- Place a large pot of salted water on boil. Taste the water, it should taste like a light broth, not too salty. Throw in penne and cook for the required time on the package. We always taste the pasta and make sure it is cooked to that al dente texture.
- Drain and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and give it a stir, set aside.
- While pasta is cooking we can get the shrimp ready. Drizzle olive oil into a sauté pan. Add a pat of salted butter and bring to a medium heat.
- Throw in shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 6-8 minutes. When shrimp turn an orange to red color it usually means they are done!
- Turn off heat and place shrimp into a bowl to cool.
- Take avocados, and with a knife cut in half. Twist and separate, take out the pit. Scoop the insides of one avocado onto a cutting board and slice up into small pieces. Toss into a large serving bowl with the pasta.
- The other avocado we are going to scoop out onto the cutting board and chop up.
- Place that into a food processor and add a squeeze of lime juice, some olive oil, and a tablespoon of water. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Pour that into the bowl with the pasta and sliced avocado. Season with some pepper, and add mustard, along with a good squeeze of lime. Give it a good toss until the avocado is well incorporated and coating the pasta well.
- Add in the shrimp and chopped fresh cilantro and parsley. Another good toss, taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- Ready to serve.
You can use a hand blender to cream the avocado.
If you do not like cilantro, omit. Chives or lemon basil could be a good alternative with the parsley.
Use your favorite short pasta like fusilli, cavatelli, mezze penne, lumache, etc.
Best to serve this pasta salad the same day and eat it fresh, then the avocado oxidizes and gets darker in color. Keep it covered in the refrigerator until half hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dish/salad
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: summer recipe, Pasta salad, Argentinian shrimp, cilantro, parsley, mustard, picnic dish, sides dish, avocado