- 4 small aubergines
- 1/2 cup stale bread, crumbled
- pinch oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 12 grape tomatoes, washed and diced
- 1 Tbsp capers, halved
- a handful of fresh basil, hand torn
- e.v.o. oil
- breadcrumbs for topping
- Wash and slice the aubergines in half lengthwise, leaving the stem intact.
- Using a small knife, cut lengthwise and widthwise in a grid pattern then use a teaspoon to scoop out the aubergine flesh in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the 8 halves with e.v.o. oil, season with salt and place in a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Dip the stale bread in water, add 1 Tbsp e.v.o. oil and a pinch of oregano, then crumble it using your hands.
- Add it to the cubed aubergines, together with the minced garlic, the halved capers, the diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, 2-3 Tbsp of e.v.o. oil and the hand torn basil and mix.
- With a table spoon fill the aubergine halves.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs, drizzle with e.v.o. oil, add a basil leaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until fork tender and golden top.
- Serving Size: 6-8 side servings