For the sour cream pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk, organic, free-range
- 2 tsp ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 cup haskap berries
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- coarse sugar
For the pastry:
- Add flour and salt to a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cubed butter, and pulse until crumbs are pea-size.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk sour cream, egg yolk, and ice water, then add it to the food processor. Pulse just until it comes together.
- Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the filling:
- Toss haskaps, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used the reusable Cookina baking sheet).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4-in. thickness. Cut 12 rounds using a 4-inch round cutter, re-rolling the dough with the scraps. Refrigerate on the prepared baking sheet for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Scoop 2 Tbsp of haskap mixture onto the center of 6 rounds of dough.
- Whisk egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl for egg wash and brush edges.
- Place another round over the filling, pressing to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork, then refrigerate on the prepared baking sheet for about 20 minutes.
- Brush with the remaining egg wash. Cut a small X on top of each hand pie. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until filling is bubbling and pies are golden brown, about 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, and enjoy!
You can substitute blueberries for haskaps.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: hand pies, haskap, baked, homemade, dessert, sour cream, butter, farm, organic, eggs, sweets