- 1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- shake of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned white beans
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- blueberries or fruit of your choosing
For the compote:
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- a splash of vanilla
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt.
- In a food processor blend milk, white beans, egg, canola oil and puree' till smooth.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk just until combined.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, we used a heart shape pancake skillet, but use what you have.
- Place batter into pan and place blueberries into batter.
- When batter starts to form air bubbles turn over and cook for an additional minute or so.
- Compote: place blueberries, water and sugar in a pot, bring to boil and cook till it thickens, but not to thick.
- Pour over pancakes.
- Add maple syrup.
The batter doesn't have any sugar, so the fruit compote and the maple syrup are a great addition if you want some sweetness.
Yield may vary due to shape and size of pancakes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes