Whole Wheat Blueberry White Chocolate Scones, healthy ingredients and a touch of chocolate, for a great start to the day or your tea time with friends. Fresh seasonal blueberries combine perfectly with lemon zest, white chocolate and which compliment the whole wheat flour and coconut sugar.
Song of the day: Better Together – Jack Johnson
Blueberries and lemons are a great pair, and if you add white chocolate, they climb to new heights. These scones are the right blend of healthy and delicious and they make any time of the day a happy one.
While waiting for fresh local blueberries to appear in the Canadian Farmers Markets, I set my eyes on some beautiful organic U.S. blueberries. My hand was quicker than my brain and they ended up in our basket to join a bag of organic lemons and other amazing produce and products.
Eat Local and Seasonal
Eating local and seasonal is what we try to do. Eating fruit and vegetables that are harvested when they are at their peak in the season, means more flavor and fewer pesticides. Plus, you often find fruits and veggies that grow together, and when you pair them, you see how they are so much better combined.
However, this way of life of eating seasonal and local, it is very hard to follow exclusively, here in Canada. Produce that you find in early Spring in other parts of the world, here appear almost at the verge of Summer, and waiting for Summer produce lead you almost to Fall. Take berries, for example, we are seeing the first strawberries now, and they are not local to Alberta, but come from British Columbia, a neighboring Province. Other berries such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, not to mention stone fruit and melons, when they finally arrive, we are deep into Summer and they come all together and in abundance.
Therefore, we often eat what’s seasonal in Countries with a milder climate than ours.
Breakfast of champions
I don’t know about you, but I take great care to my breakfast. You might have noticed, by now, that I do not eat savory at breakfast and that is what I believe a “genetic disposition” since you won’t find anybody in Italy that would be willing to eat a savory item with their morning coffee or cappuccino. They just don’t go together.
Therefore, in my list of “breakfast of champions”, I only have sweet things (but that does not mean unhealthy stuff), and that includes scones.
Whole Wheat Blueberry White Chocolate Scones
The list of scones we have on the blog is getting longer and longer. And while we have our favorites, we always try to come up with new different combinations. Different use of flours like spelt flour, soft white wheat, 00; different sugars; different fruit combos, and chocolate.
These Whole Wheat Blueberry White Chocolate Scones are your perfect morning scone. Not too sweet, a bit nutty, bursting with fruit flavor and with the sweet indulgence of the white chocolate peaking through.
I enjoyed one warm in the afternoon with a coffee, just after I finished the shooting session. The blueberries were plump and warm, the lemon bright, with the white chocolate and sprinkle of vanilla sugar on top giving me plenty to be joyful about (and you could tell by the smile on my face, lol). But what was really amazing was the texture and the nuttiness from the organic soft white wheat flour. Who said that whole wheat is boring and tastes like shredded cardboard???
If you were to talk to anyone who knows us, they would tell you Loreto and Nicoletta are scone lovers. We like them crumbly and not cakey, and love the combination of fruit and chocolate, and the nuttiness from different flours. This Whole Wheat Blueberry White Chocolate Scones hit the mark on every count. If you are a scone lover too, we highly recommend trying these, they are absolutely divine!
Song of the day: Better Together – Jack Johnson
- 2 cups organic, soft white wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp (2 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp raw coconut sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup half and half (plus some for glazing)
- 1 large egg, organic free-range
- 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- a sprinkle of sugar for the topping (I used vanilla sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture, squeezing and pinching with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse meal and there are no butter lumps bigger than a pea.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour the half and half cream into a small bowl and add the egg, beating with a fork to mix well. Pour into the flour mixture, and stir gently with a spatula to just combine.
- Add the mini white chocolate chips and blueberries.
- Using your hands lightly squeeze and press the dough into a rough mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a wood board or countertop, and knead it until it just comes together.
- Pat the dough into a rough circle about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush gently the top with a thin coat of half and half cream. Sprinkle with sugar and put in the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Serve warm, or re-heat the next day.
Any leftover scones, I freeze individually, well wrapped in plastic and placed into a ziplock bag. Re-heated, they are just as good.