Warm Roasted Potato and Broccoli Salad with Green Lentils is a healthy and delicious dish. Barbecue roasted potatoes and broccoli, tossed with cooked green lentils, chopped purple onion, with a lovely olive oil, lemon, balsamic cream dressing and plenty of fresh chopped chives to finish.
Song of the day: "It's a Beautiful Day" by Michael Buble'
A little curve ball!
Sometimes life hands you some curve balls, and you need to bend in a different way to make things better again. Lately we have had to revamp our cooking styles and decisions, because of some health issues that arose! At first some panic set in thinking what will we eat, we can't have this, we can't have that. Then something happened, as if a new door opened up, a new way of thinking and cooking. The end result wonderful dinners and dishes, and of course feeling a lot better! Today we are sharing a dish we thoroughly enjoyed that was also beautiful and aromatic.
Come with us in our kitchen and let's make this Warm Roasted Potato and Broccoli Salad with Green Lentils together!
Gather all the utensils:
This is really easy, all you need for kitchen utensils are:
- a few small bowls
- a fine strainer
- small whisk
- cutting board
- a good knife
- some foil paper
Now for the ingredients for this Warm Roasted Potato and Broccoli Salad with Green Lentils:
- Green lentils
- Broccoli fleurettes
- Purple onions
- Fresh chives
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Balsamic cream
- Maple syrup
What needs to be done first:
- The very first thing we need to do is rinse the lentils, and cook them. Super easy, into a pot of salted boiling water and in a half hour or so the lentils are cooked.
- Secondly, we need to clean wash and cut the broccoli into nice size fleurettes. More so we want to blanche them in some boiling water for a few minutes just to get them cooked a bit. Drain and set aside.
- Thirdly, the potatoes need to be washed, and cut up into small chunks. Furthermore, let's cut up the purple onion, and finely chop the chives.
Fire up the barbecue, time to get some char happening!
We wanted to get some flavor building so we placed the potatoes and the blanched broccoli onto some foil paper and dressed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Close the foil package creating a pouch and onto the grill and a nice 400° F degree heat.
What about the dressing?
Yes, almost forgot. The dressing is really easy. In a ramekin drizzle in olive oil, a touch of sesame oil, some soy sauce, balsamic cream, and to sweeten a little, some maple syrup, and for balance, salt and white pepper. A quick whisk and it is ready to go! Easy breezy, right?!
Time to assemble this Warm Roasted Potato and Broccoli Salad with Green Lentils
So, first, place the grilled broccoli and potatoes into a nice sized bowl. Toss in the cooked lentils, and sprinkle with the chopped purple onion. Drizzle the dressing over and toss. Taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary. All we need now is a splash of lemon!
A little garnish and this wonderful dish is ready to serve!
Once the ingredients are well tossed, garnish with some sprinkled chopped chives and a few of the chive strands. That's it, it is ready to serve!
Talk about flavor and texture!
This Warm Roasted Potato and Broccoli Salad with Green Lentils is just wonderful. I love that it is warm, the heat from the grill charred the veggies beautifully and kept the heat in. That smokiness is so balanced by the acidity and sweetness of the dressing. The lentils provide the luxury and foundation adding in a nice nuttiness. You got to love the tenderness of the broccoli, and who doesn't love roasted potatoes, right?
All in all, this is an incredibly healthy, beautiful dish that fills you with a sense of well being.
- 1 head broccoli
- ½ cup dried green lentils
- ¼ cup purple onion
- 5 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of evo oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp balsamic creme
- Dash of fine sea salt and white pepper
- Wash and rinse the lentils, let drain, and in a medium pot, toss in lentils and double the amount of water. Bring to a boil then turn heat down and let simmer for 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender. They should still have a bite to them.
- Wash and cut the stem off the bundle. Cut into bite size fleurettes and place into a pot of salted boiling water. Let boil for a couple of minutes and then drain and rinse under cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking you can mince up the onion and chop up the chives. Also, prep the potatoes by washing peeling if you wish and cutting them into nice chunks.
- In a small ramekin add olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, balsamic cream, maple syrup, a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk well and set aside.
- Get a large piece of foil paper. Place the potatoes and blanched broccoli into the center. Dress with olive oil, salt, pepper. Toss slightly then close the foil creating a pouch. Heat up grill to around 400 degree F, and place pouch on grill.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and open pouch after about 10 minutes turning the vegetables to prevent from burning. Take off grill and place in a medium size bowl.
- Toss lentils into bowl with potatoes and broccoli and mix with a spoon. Take the dressing, give it another whisk, and drizzle all over the lentil, broccoli, potato mixture. Give it another good toss until the dressing is well incorporated and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary. A little splash of lemon and we are done.
- Garnish the top with some of the chopped chives, and also place some of the chive strands on top.
Ready to serve!
You could use sweet potato in place of the regular potatoes. Also another good substitution would be cauliflower instead of broccoli. It is really up to you!
For the dressing, use one of your favorites, although this dressing is truly wonderful.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top/grilling
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: vegetarian, broccoli, potatoes, fresh, healthy, easy, chives, onions, green lentils, hearty main,,
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.