There is something so clean and simple about Vietnamese cooking, not to mention the healthiness of the cuisine. lively fresh flavors and artfully composed meals sum up what this style of cooking brings to the table. It is known as the "true light cuisine" of Asia. Abundantly used fresh herbs and greens, simple soups, stir fries, well seasoned BBQ foods, served with rice or noodles which are a mainstay in any Vietnamese household. I love the marinades that are used in their BBQ techniques and the simplicity of the use of starch and sweetness to soothe the palate from the fire of the chilies. Tonight I am going to play on a dish from south Vietnam where seafood is found bountifully. I am giving you my take on Vietnamese grilled shrimps on steamed white rice. A great dish for those early spring BBQ's. Enjoy!
- 48 medium shrimps
- ½ small white onion
- ½ red pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 table spoon grated lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 leaves of basil
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ¾ cup of basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Take shrimps, peel shell and devein; wash then drain in strainer.
- Place shrimps in a bowl.
- Drizzle some of the sesame oil, squeeze some lemon juice and grate some of the lemon zest on top.
- Add the fish sauce.
- Chop the basil and sprinkle on top.
- Also chop cilantro and sprinkle on top.
- Chop into slivers the red and yellow pepper.
- Also chop into slivers the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Toss in with the shrimps.
- Add grated lemon grass and ginger.
- Mix well and set aside in the fridge.
- Take 8 skewers and place in warm water.
- In a small pot toss in rice, drizzle remainder of sesame oil.
- Pour in water, add salt, cover and bring to boil.
- Once it has started to boil lower heat and simmer stirring occasionally.
- When rice is tender take off heat, leave covered and let sit.
- Preheat BBQ.
- Take shrimps out of fridge.
- Place 6 shrimps on each skewer and drizzle remaining marinade onto skewered shrimps leaving the vegetables out.
- Place skewers on grill turning only once.
- When shrimps have turned a nice vivid pink color they are done.
- In a wok stir fry vegetables and cook till warmed through.
- In a nice serving bowl place some steamed rice.
- Put some of the stir fry on top of the rice.
- Place a couple skewers on top and off to one side.
- Now it's time to eat.
Disclosure: All links in our post are NOT affiliate links. They are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.
When I am not cooking, I enjoy playing musical instruments, singing, writing. I have learned over the years to live in gratitude and enjoy the moment.