Recipe for the cake adapted from the cookbook “Cucina da Chef con Ingredienti Low cost” by Giulia Scarpaleggia. Idea for the nest adapted from Chew Town.
Triple Chocolate Cake:
- 3 medium eggs, organic, free range, at room temperature
- 120 g light brown sugar
- 120 g dark chocolate (we used Valrhona), melted
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp orange blossom extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 100 g (1 cup) almond flour
- 60 g (1/2 cup) brown rice flour
- 40 g (1/3 cup) coconut flour
- 8 g (2 tsp) baking powder
- pinch salt
- 100 g dark chocolate (we used Valrhona)
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 80 g chocolate shavings (milk or dark, we used Callebaut’s milk chocolate shavings)
- 60 g dark chocolate
- 20 g vermicelli noodles
- a packet of small Easter eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C). Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl using a hand held mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until light and foamy.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bain-marie, then add the e.v.o. oil, the orange juice and zest, and extracts.
- Add the liquids to the egg mixture.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly to the wet mixture, mixing lightly with a spatula.
- Pour the batter in the prepared bundt pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- To make the ganache, melt the butter and chocolate together in a bain-marie (water bath), stirring until completely combined. Spread on the cake. Let cool a bit, then sprinkle the chocolate shavings on top.
- To make the nest, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie (water bath), break up roughly the vermicelli noodles in the melted chocolate and mix with two forks till well coated. Transfer the chocolate coated noodles into a bowl lined with plastic wrap. Place a heavier smaller bowl on top of the noodles and place in the fridge to harden (at least 5/10 minutes).
- Remove the nest from the fridge, and take it out of the bowl mold. Place it on top of the bundt cake and fill it with the chocolate eggs.
- Serve a slice of the cake with some drops of raspberry puree.
- Enjoy and Happy Easter!
The texture of the gluten free triple chocolate cake is dense but soft and melt in your mouth, it keeps at room temperature in a domed cake stand for few days. If you want it not gluten-free, you can substitute the brown rice and coconut flour with 100 g of spelt flour.
Unfortunately, the nest is inedible, due to the uncooked vermicelli noodles, it is only for decoration.
- Serving Size: 10-12 servings