- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or flour 00)
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of mixed strawberries, raspberries, blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- whipping cream for brushing
- cane sugar for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, hull, and chop strawberries; wash raspberries and blackberries. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt.
- Toss in butter, and work it with a pastry blender.
- Add the berries, the dark chocolate chips and blend with a metal spoon till the berries are nicely coated with flour.
- Whisk the egg and cream together in a small bowl, then add to the flour mixture.
- Gently mix the dough with your hands until it just comes together. Don’t overmix.
- On a very well-floured counter, pat out dough.
- Cut into 6 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet, closer together, but not touching (I keep them 2 inches apart).
- Brush with whipping cream and sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Bake scones until firm and golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American