- 300 g flour
- 130 g sugar
- 150 g butter (or 50 g butter + 50 g lard for a more traditional recipe)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 organic lemon, the zest
- about 250 g wild cherry (sour cherry) jam (marmellata di visciole, in Italian)
- Work the ingredients quickly until a raggedy dough comes together.
- Form it into a ball, flatten it, wrap it in plastic, and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After that, with a rolling pin, roll out a little more than half of the dough to a circumference as wide as the tart pan. Reserve the rest of the dough to make the lattice top.
- Place the dough into a greased and floured tart pan, making sure the bottom and sides adhere to the pan. Poke the bottom with a fork.
- With the rest of the dough roll out some ropes.
- Add the jam onto the base of the crostata and spread evenly.
- Arrange the ropes in a lattice design on top.
- Add a rope or some cut out shapes all around the circumference.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack, then slice and serve.
- Optional, dust the top lightly with powdered sugar.
When rolling out the dough, to prevent it from sticking to the countertop or rolling pin, place your dough over a large sheet of lightly floured parchment paper. Then, put another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough, basically sandwiching it between the two layers of paper. Starting at the center of the disk, roll it away from you, then spin the dough a quarter turn and again, roll away from you, continuing this until you reach the desired thickness.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: dessert, crostata, dolce, rome, traditional, butter, eggs, lemon zest, sweets, italian