Torta Paradiso with Cream Cheese & Jam. Torta Paradiso is a classic Italian cake with an unforgettable, paradisiac texture (hence, the name): soft, crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth. Here the cake is filled with whipped cream cheese and raspberry apple jam and topped with fresh summer berries and mint. My Italian answer to a layered cake.
- 150 g icing (powdered) sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 80 g all-purpose flour (or 00 flour)
- 80 g potato starch
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks, organic, free-range, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 8 g aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 organic lemon, the zest
- pinch salt
For the filling
- 250 g organic cream cheese
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- jam (raspberry or whatever flavor you like. We used raspberry apple jam)
For the top
- 2 Tbsp icing (powdered) sugar
- fresh summer berries (we used blueberries and raspberries)
- a few small mint leaves
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, start whisking the butter then add half of the icing sugar at a time. Whisk for about 15 minutes, or until creamy white and soft. You could also use the handheld mixer for a good result.
- Add a pinch of salt, the vanilla bean seeds, the lemon zest.
- Continue mixing at low speed and slowly add the beaten eggs, a couple tablespoons at a time, waiting to add the next until the previous is incorporated. Remove bowl from stand mixer.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, potato starch, and baking powder. Add it to the stand mixer bowl, one tablespoon at a time, incorporating it gently with a spatula, folding from the bottom up. The batter has to be foamy and soft.
- Preheat the oven to 340° F (170°C).
- Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 20 cm (9-inch) springform pan. Put a round parchment paper liner at the bottom of the pan, then add the mixture, leveling the top with a spatula.
- Place the springform pan in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, checking with a wood skewer or a cake tester.
- Take out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes in the pan on a rack, then remove the springform and invert on a plate. Let it cool completely.
- Whit a handheld mixer, whip the cream cheese, icing sugar, and the other half of the vanilla bean seeds.
- Cut the cake horizontally. Spread the whipped cream cheese as a first layer on the bottom of the cake. Add the jam and spread it evenly over the cream cheese.
- Top with the other half of the cake. Dust generously with icing sugar.
- Arrange berries and mint leaves on top, as you most like.
Have all the ingredients at room temperature, that will help the success of the cake.
When the cake is baking, don't bump the stove or jump up and down in the kitchen, any vibration could deflate the cake, lol. The cake could deflate a bit, anyway, in the center. Let it cool for a few minutes, then invert it on a plate. The smooth bottom of the cake will become the top.
The cake lasts for a couple of days, in the fridge. I wrapped plastic wrap around it to keep it moist. If not, the edges will dry a little. The second day it was gone, so I don't know about keeping it longer in the fridge. You can also use a glass dome cake stand.
You could use mascarpone/whipped cream instead of cream cheese.
You can replace the 00 flour (or all-purpose flour) with the same amount of rice flour.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cake torta paradiso jam cream cheese summer berries icing sugar butter eggs italian