- about 4 regular apples (or 5-6 small/medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon zest, for the apples
- 200 g flour type 00 (or all-purpose)
- 120 g raw cane sugar + more for sprinkling on top of the cake
- pinch of salt
- a pinch of cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 10 g baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 80 g olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C) and butter a 26 cm (10 in.) springform cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pinch of salt, cardamom, cinnamon, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- Use an apple slicer to core and divide the apples into slices. Remove the skin and cut each slice in half lengthwise. Or chop them, as you most like. Place the apples in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and zest.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, olive oil, vanilla, and milk. Beat well.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Before it is all combined, add the sliced/chopped apples with their juices and fold in.
- Pour the thick batter into the prepared pan, spreading and smoothing the top with the spatula.
- Optional, sprinkle the top with raw cane (turbinado) sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is nice and golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack before removing from the springform pan.
You can use a mild olive oil, or a lemon-flavored olive oil.
This apple cake is very low on purpose. For a taller cake use a smaller pan.
The cake keeps in an airtight container for 2-3 days without losing its beautiful moist texture.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: apples, fall, eggs, olive oil, spices, baked, homemade, traditional, Italian, simple