Tasty and easy, Insalata di Riso, Rice salad, is an Italian summer staple. Al dente rice mixed with fresh and canned veggies, tuna, and eggs, lightly dressed with evo oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- 3/4 cup Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1 cup boiled green beans
- 1 can of tuna packed in olive oil
- 10-12 multi color cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 olives
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/4 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup firm mozzarella (or Asiago, Gruyère, Fontina)
- 2 boiled eggs
- evo oil
- salt and pepper
- Put a pot of salted water on boil and add the rice. Cook for about 15 minutes, or according to the time on the package. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking time. Leave rice in strainer to drain well, then place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Boil the peas for 3-4 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Then, boil the green beans for 8-10 minutes, drain, chop, and set aside.
- Boil the eggs for about 9 minutes, peel, slice in half, then in quarters.
- Open the can of tuna, discard the oil.
- Wash the multi-color cherry tomatoes, cut in half, squeeze the seeds out, and chop. Dress them with a little oil, salt and pepper.
- Cut the olives into rounds.
- Drain the corn.
- Cut the artichoke hearts in slivers.
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes.
- Add all the veggies and the mozzarella in a large bowl. Stir well.
- In the bowl with the rice, add the tuna and mix it in. After, add the veggies/mozzarella, and stir well.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Set in the fridge to rest for at least half an hour, along with the eggs in a separate container. When ready to serve, drizzle in evo oil, and if you want, a squeeze of lemon juice and some basil leaves. Optional, a tablespoon of mayonnaise. Place the eggs gently on top, sprinkle black pepper, and serve.
You can keep the lefotvers in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge.
To make a quick version of Insalata di Riso, instead of fresh vegetables, use "giardiniera" (Italian pickled vegetables in a jar) and add any of your favorites.
- Category: Pasta & risotto
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: rice salad, italian, summer, easy, insalata di riso, vegetables, tuna, eggs, olives, tasty