Taleggio Mushroom & Fresh Herb Pizza, a great creative collaboration of fresh meets flavorful for a most delightful, mouthwatering experience.
Pizza dough (makes 3 large pizze):
- 500 g farina 00 (or all-purpose, or better, a mix of the two)
- 300 ml water, at room temperature
- 5 g fresh yeast (2 g dried yeast)
- pinch of sugar
- 35 g extra virgin olive oil
- 10 g sea salt
Taleggio Mushroom & Fresh Herb Topping:
- 200 g mixed organic mushrooms (portobellini, shitake, oyster, crimini)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1-2 sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- a splash of white wine
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 80 g mozzarella fior di latte
- 50 g Taleggio
- truffle oil, to drizzle on top
- In a small bowl, add half of the water, the fresh yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Let dissolve.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, the water/yeast mixture and start mixing on low. Add the salt, then slowly add the rest of the water, and keep mixing. Lastly, slowly, add the oil and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the food processor and starts to form a ball.
- Take it out of the food processor and put it onto a floured work surface. Knead it for a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Form it into a ball, cover it with a bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Once rested, give the dough a small fold: stretch the ends to form a rectangle, take the outer ends and fold into the center, turn it 90 degrees and do the same. Then, form it back into a ball. Transfer the ball of dough into a bowl, cover with cling wrap (better if you oil the plastic so it doesn't stick to the dough when it rises).
- Transfer the bowl to the oven (turned off) with the light on and let it rest for a few hours (2-3) until doubled in size.
- When the dough is ready, divide into 3 even pieces and take each piece and shape into a circle using your hands. Oil a 12-inch round pizza pan and stretch dough until it fills the pan with a nice border. Repeat this with the other dough and set pizza crusts aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Mushroom & Fresh Herbs:
- In a medium saute pan heat up olive oil and garlic then toss in washed and cut up mushrooms. Add freshly broken thyme, rosemary, parsley, and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Splash in some white wine and finish cooking for about 2 minutes or until wine has evaporated. Take off heat and set aside.
- Drizzle some olive oil on pizza dough in the pan, spread it evenly throughout.
- Place the mozzarella and the Taleggio on the pizza dough distributing it evenly on the surface of the dough.
- Place the mushrooms on top, distributing them evenly. Finish with a nice drizzling of truffle oil and some more chopped parsley.
- Ready for the oven. Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until you see the cheeses melt and the border and underside turn golden brown.
If you want to use just one ball of dough, you can wrap the other two, separately, in plastic and put them in a freezer bag. When you're ready to use them, take them out of the freezer, unwrap, put in a bowl, cover and let thaw and rise again. Then proceed to stretch and make the pizza of your choice.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian