When I see an Asian rice bowl I am always enthralled. The presentation of fresh and cooked, hot and cold, succulent and starchy, furthermore, a delicious dressing that just spikes the flavor of everything it touches. This Sweet and Sour Salmon Rice Bowl with Wasabi Vinaigrette will sure catch your eye and tantalize your palate!
- 500g Atlantic salmon
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Splash rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cups extra fancy Kokuho Rose rice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium carrot washed, peeled, and grated
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp tamarind
- 4 tsp mirin
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp wasabi paste
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp pickled ginger
- Chopped green onion
- In a bowl mix up all the ingredients for the marinade. Take the salmon and place in in the bowl with the marinade and flip it a few times, then cover and place in the fridge for an hour.
- In a medium pot pour in sesame oil and toss in green onion. Bring to a medium heat and saute for a minute or so. Pour in rice and stir coating the rice with the oil. Pour in water and bring rice to a boil. Stir often. Turn heat down and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is the texture you like. About a couple minutes to being done, I turn off the heat and keep it covered. This steams the rice to a nice texture.
- While rice is cooking, pre-heat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take salmon out of fridge. Place on a parchment lined pan.
- Place on middle rack of oven, and bake for 18 minutes turning salmon halfway through.
- For the last 2 minutes turn oven to grill on high and cook for remaining 2 minutes or so.
- Take salmon out of oven, check the middle temp of the fish with a thermometer, it should be 145° F.
- In a small bowl toss all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Take a few good scopes of rice into a medium bowl. Place some of the shredded lettuce, sliced cucumber, and sliced avocado onto the sides.
- Cut the salmon in half and place one piece onto the rice and lettuce. Grab a nice pinch of the grated carrots and place in the middle.
- Next, drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the salmon, rice, veggies. Finish with some chopped green onion and pickled ginger.
- Repeat for the other bowl.
- Ready to serve!
You can marinade the salmon for more time, even overnight if you want!
You can use chicken, beef, or even pork for the protein if you don't want the salmon.
- Category: Main
- Method: stovetop/baked
Keywords: rice bowl, Asian cuisine, Atlantic salmon, avocado, carrots, cucumber, green onion, wasabi vinaigrette, extra fancy rice,