Sweet Potato Onion Gratin. Take grilled sweet potato and onion and layer it is a baking dish separated by gooey cheese and cream spiced with grated horseradish and we have a side dish that will take you on the flavor town express! This dish has layer upon layer of taste bud tantalization surely making it a winner in my books!
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled, washed, and dried and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 medium Vidalia onions peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted room temperature butter
- 1 1/2 cups half & half cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp grated horseradish
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups grated Gruyere, Gouda, Asiago cheese mixed
- Salt, and pepper
- Pre-heat grill to medium to high heat. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Then grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with some butter.
- In a baking sheet sprinkle some oil over the onions and sweet potatoes and season with salt, pepper.
- Place sweet potatoes and onions on a vegetable cookie sheet on the grill and cook till veggies are slightly charred and cooked halfway. Roughly 2 minutes a side.
- In a large bowl combine half & half cream, whipping cream, horseradish, salt and pepper, 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Blend well.
- Sprinkle some of the cheese mixture into the bottom of the greased baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the sweet potato and onion then sprinkle some cheese and repeat until you get three layers.
- Finish the top with more cheese blend. Then slowly pour the cream mixture over the top.
- Cover the dish with foil paper and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and let rest 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Ready to serve.
You can use any cheese you have on hand, preferably one that is a good melting cheese.
If you don’t like horseradish, substitute some grated ginger or garlic.