Sweet Potato Onion Gratin. Outdoor cooking and backyard barbecues are underway. The aromas of grilling and the sounds of spring and summer are in the air. Today we are sharing a wonderful side dish that was inspired by a Food Network star. Come into our kitchen and let's make this aromatic oh so flavorful dish!
Song of the day: "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf.
Sweet Potato Onion Gratin! Take grilled sweet potato and onion and layer it in a baking dish separated by gooey cheese and cream spiced with grated horseradish and we have a side dish that will take you on the flavor town express! This dish has layer upon layer of taste bud tantalization surely making it a winner in my books!
Food Network inspiration............
I am a big fan of the Food Network. I usually watch it daily and there are some favorites. One show, in particular, is Triple D with Guy Fieri. Gotta love that Camaro. I am a huge vintage muscle car fan. Anyway, Guy has quite a few different shows and one in particular really inspires me. It's called Guys Big Bite.
He cooks in his backyard kitchen furnished with all kinds of make me drool grilling and cooking appliances. One thing, in particular, is this wood fire oven. Oh, I could think of a plethora of things to cook in there, especially pizza! It sure would be a dream come true to be able to cook in his heavenly kitchen, hint hint, nudge, nudge, lol. Maybe take the Camaro out for a little drive, wink wink!
We can only dream................
Oh, I almost forgot where I was going with all this ranting. On one of his Big Bite shows, he did this sweet potato onion gratin. I was enthralled. I loved his use of the grill and mixing in some oven baking to bring some pretty amazing flavors and textures to a level that words can't do it justice!
So come with us into our kitchen and let's get cooking. Today, Sweet Potato Onion Gratin!
This is what we will need................
- Sweet potatoes
- Canola oil
- Whipping cream
- Half & half cream
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
Now that we have all the ingredients guess what time it is. That's right, cooking time!
A little char goes a long way...............
- The first thing you need to do is season and oil the sweet potato and onion rounds. Preheat that grill and get these babies onto a grilling pan to get all flavored up. Look at that nice char. Do you know what that tells me? Right again, you guys are good! Flavor and more flavor! These onion smell amazing I just want to eat them like that! However, I need them to finish this dish.
Layers upon layers of greatness..................
- Secondly, the assembly, which starts with some of the grated cheeses into the bottom of a greased baking dish. Then a layer of the grilled sweet potato, and grilled onion.
- Now more cheese and the process continues just like the last, sweet potato and onion!
- You will have three layers when you are done and a nice amount of grated cheese for the top, however, we need to prepare that cream.
- In a bowl combine whipping cream, half & half, grated horseradish, thyme, oregano, and blend, then we have to pour it over the top! I just love how it's making its way through all the spaces and I can only imagine the end result of flavor and texture. Crisp meets creamy, yum!
- Off to the preheated oven, at 350 degrees F covered in foil for the first stage of cooking. For the last stage, it will be uncovered to get all crusty beautiful!
We are so close to eating this Sweet Potato Onion Gratin!
Is that not just the most delicious thing you've ever seen?
Look at that top, the color, the texture. The aroma is amazing and my mouth is totally watering. I smell that horseradish and the buttery creaminess of the sauce. Those onions offering that familiar fair aroma. Let's cut a piece and try it!
OMG, come on! This is killer. The sweet potato perfectly cooked. Soft, sweet, starchy. The onion waltzes so beautifully with its soft caramelized sweetness and that char on both of these vegetables adds a wonderful smokiness to the delectable mix.
Let's talk sauce. That cream is the bomb. Its richness and accents of oregano, thyme, and especially that horseradish really offer some delicious hits. This is luxurious comfort side food heaven. I am so pleased with this. It turned out so well and it is my kind of side dish for backyard cooking and meals.
This Sweet Potato Onion Gratin would be great with BBQ ribs or chicken, or a wonderful grilled steak. Heck, I think it would work with anything grilled!
It seems like an eternity since we have been in this quarantine. Thankfully, winter has gone and warm spring weather has arrived. At least we can enjoy our backyards and do some serious grilling! Thanks, Guy, for inspiring me, and for making this incredible dish! Keep doing what you do and love your tag lines! We really enjoy your shows! Hey, I am free next weekend, lol!
So, May long weekend is happening this weekend in Canada. Maybe you're planning a nice picnic in your backyard. I think this dish would be the perfect addition to whatever you're thinking of grilling! Want an utterly amazing side dish? Then think Sweet Potato Onion Gratin!
Happy May long weekend!
Enjoy and stay safe!
Song of the day: "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf.Print