Sweet Potato and Corn Harvest Chowder. This soup screams Fall harvest in a most comforting and delicious way. Corn, sweet potato, squash, and so much more all slow dancing in a slow cooker. As a result, a creamy rich luxurious bowl of soul food. Feeling like soup these days? Try this chowder, you will be amazed!
- 3 Tbsp E.V.O. oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 cups of peeled and diced acorn squash
- 3 cobs corn shucked, boiled, and corn cut off the cob
- 3 small yellow potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and diced
- 12 mini San Marzano tomatoes quarterd
Spices and herbs:
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 4 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp each coriander and black peppercorns
- Coarse sea salt, garlic and onion powder, paprika
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh green onion
- In a large pot heat up olive oil and butter.
- Toss in garlic and let saute for 1 minute.
- Throw in all the veggies, sweet potato, potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, celery, and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Take the sauteed vegetables and toss into the slow cooker. Add in cooked corn and tomatoes.
- Pour the mixed vegetable broth into the slow cooker covering all the veggies.
- Turn on the slow cooker to low and cover. Let cook for 4-5 hours.
- At this time, pour in the cream and stir and warm up.
- Ready to serve.
- In a large pot heat up and melt butter. Sprinkle in flour and with a whisk blend until it comes to a paste and starts to brown, 1 minute.
- Add in soup and stir constantly. Let it come to a boil. When it thickens, turn off heat and soup is ready to serve.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle in a corner some of the chopped green onion.
- You can put the corn in fresh and not cook it, just saute it with the other vegetables first.
- You can make your own broth ahead of time. Saute onions, carrots, celery and any other vegetables you like with some seasoning herbs and spices. Pour in water to totally cover vegetables and let simmer, usually a few hours on low. Screen, jar, and place in the fridge after cooled.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5.5 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow cooking
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Sweet potato, chowder, corn, carrots, onions, garlic, vegetarian, vegetable broth, squash, tomatoes, celery