Sweet Potato, Beet, Kale Hash with Fried Egg, a delicious saute pan breakfast, lunch, or dinner that has an abundance of textures and flavors topped with a perfectly fried egg that has just enough runny egg to make the dish the richest thing that you have ever tasted!
- 2 red beets peeled and cubed
- 1 large golden beets peeled and cubed
- 2 yellow potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/4 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups washed and torn kale leaves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic quartered
- Pinch of salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried red chilies
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 Tbsp tomato salsa
- Drizzle of olive oil
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil and toss in red beets. Boil for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
Sweet potatoes, golden beets and yellow potatoes:
- Do the same for the golden beets, putting the yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes together to cook.
- In a large cast iron pan drizzle in olive oil, and toss in garlic.
- Once garlic starts to sizzle on high heat, add in all the vegetables leaving out the kale.
- Saute for 20-30 minutes until surfaces start to turn golden and crisp.
- Slowly add in kale and stir it up. Keep doing this until all the kale is in the pan.
- At the last few minutes of cooking place cast pan in oven on high broil on middle rack and finish cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Take out of oven.
- In a saute pan on medium heat drizzle in a bit of olive oil, crack egg and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and take off heat. Put back on heat till white is cooked on top and the yolk is still bright and yellow. You may need to do this a few times to achieve the desire egg texture. Total cook time about 10 minutes.
- Place eggs on top of veggies in cast pan and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Spoon some of the hash into a plate, place the egg on top, some slices of avocado on the side, and dollop some salsa beside the avocado.
- Finish with a bit more fresh chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Ready to serve.
You can omit the parboiling for the potatoes and the golden beets and just parboil the beets and add towards the last 10-15 minutes of cooking. However, you may need a bit more cooking time for the other vegetables.