- 1 cup sweet fresh peas
- 3 cups packed spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh heavy cream (or Italian panna da cucina)
- 2 Tbsp organic milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano, grated + 1/4 cup for the top
- 1/4 cup cheddar, grated
- 1/3 cup mascarpone
- 300 g pasta
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs for the top
- a drizzle of e.v.o. oil
- mint leaves, chopped, for topping
- Shuck the peas and blanch them in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Wash spinach and chop them fine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water for less than package directions call for (it will keep cooking in the oven). Drain the pasta but reserve about half a cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the chopped spinach in a blender with the cream, and a couple tablespoon organic milk and blend on high speed until smooth.
- In a large pot (or wok) melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 1-2 minutes to make a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the spinach mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3-4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
- Take sauce off the heat, add reserved pasta water and cheeses and whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the pasta and mix until pasta is well coated with sauce.
- Add peas and gently incorporate.
- Transfer to a greased 10-inch x 12-inch deep baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a drizzle of e.v.o.oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling. Turn oven to broil and cook for an additional minute, just to brown the top.
The cooking time does not include the blanching of the peas and the making of the roux (about 10 more minutes).
- Serving Size: 4 servings