- 700g beef short rib
- 3 Tbsp evo oil
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 small cipollini onions chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow potato cut into chunks
- 6 fingerling potatoes cut in half
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 6 dried mango slices cut into bite size chunks
- 6 dried prunes cut in half
Seasoning and spices:
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp yellow curry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp each onion and garlic powder
- sat and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small can 160 ml coconut milk
- 10 Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- First cut beef short rib into pieces. I cut in between the bones have one bone per piece.
- In a deep sauté pan , drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bring to a med to high heat and place in short ribs and chopped green onion.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion/garlic powder, paprika. Let the short rib sear, and when it is browned on one side, about 5 minutes of cooking time, turn them over, and do the same season and brown. Total searing time about 10 minutes. Place ribs in a bowl or plate and set aside.
- In the same pan drizzle in remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Toss in all the veggies: onions, shallots, carrots, celery, peppers, potatoes, and garlic. Sauté on medium heat for 2 minutes. Throw in dried fruits and bay leaf. Give it a good stir. Let that sauté for 10 minutes.
- Time to add all the exotic spices: turmeric, cumin, yellow curry, coriander. Stir everything getting to the bottom of the pan so that the spices form a paste and coat all the veggies! Let that sauté for 2 minutes on low to medium heat.
Beef short rib:
- At this time we want to add back in the seared short ribs. Toss them with all the veggies.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour in tomato passata and olives, plus some of the vegetable broth. Stir and get it all nice and well blended. Add rest of the broth and stir again.
- Pour everything into a large tajine or oven safe baking dish/crock pot. Place tajine without lid in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take tajine out of the oven and pour in coconut milk, give it a good stir, and bake into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and wipe the rim of the tajine with a warm cloth. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Place lid on tajine and bring to the table.
- Ready to serve.
- You can serve this with some basmati rice, or warmed up naan. If you want to go all out, do both!
If you don't have fingerling potatoes just use yellow or red skin potatoes cut into chunks. I used those because I wanted to use up what was in the fridge.
For the dried fruit dried apricots work well to!
Also for the olives, you can use a green olive, or one that has lots of briny flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Main, Meat
- Method: stove top/ oven
- Cuisine: Fusion/Moroccan
Keywords: Moroccan cuisine, exotic food, beef short rib, dried mango, dried prunes, olives, stews, slow cooked, tajine,