Sweet and Sour Meatballs (and a cookbook review). Sweet, sour and so juicy, these meatballs are the perfect small plate to start a meal. The kids will love the ease of eating these plump full of flavor morsels and even the adults may go for seconds and thirds. Karlynn’s passion to re-ignite a time when dinner was a time together is one that is dear to my heart also, and a book like “The Prairie Table” full of family recipes is a real bonus!
- 4 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated white onion (optional)
- 2 Tbsp garlic puree (found in a tube in the fresh grocery section)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Karlynn’s Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 6 Tbsp light soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375° F or set out a slow cooker.
- To make the meatballs, place all the meatball ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until everything is well combined. Form 1 1/2-inch-wide meatballs and place them on rimmed baking sheets, half an inch apart, until the meat mixture has been used up.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a 13-to15-inch roaster or a slow cooker, shaking off any grease first.
- To make the sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Once the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs.
- If using the oven, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the meatball reach an inside temperature of 165°F.
- If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until the meatballs reach a temperature of 165°F. Serve hot -a slow cooker will keep these warm throughout a party.
- These can be stored, sauce and all, in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days, or frozen in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
Excerpted from The Prairie Table by Karlynn Johnston. Copyright 2019 Karlynn Johnston. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the publisher. All rights reserved.