Supplì (Roman Rice Croquettes) with Squash and Bacon. Want to know what to do with that leftover risotto? Well, here’s an idea that, as a result, it is going to take your table by storm. Beautiful crispy fried ovals filled with luscious rice, squash and crispy morsels of bacon. However, if that is not enough, how about a pocket of melted Gouda hidden in the center?
- 2 cups leftover Delicata squash risotto
- 1 free-range egg
- 3/4 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup of guanciale (or bacon) cut into small thin strips
- 6 x 1-inch by 1/2-inch thick Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1 bottle of Peanut oil
- In a saute pan toss in strips of guanciale (bacon) and saute on medium to high heat till golden and crispy. Take out of the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine risotto, Parmigiano, sauteed guanciale (bacon), egg. Combine till well incorporated. If the mixture seems a bit lose, add in more grated Parmigiano.
- Take a good heaping tablespoon of the risotto mixture and place in hand. Form a bowl and place a Gouda piece in the center. Close and form rice into a nice plump oval shape.
- Place into a dish with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Coat the surface. Shake off excess flour and place on a plate. Repeat the process until all the suppli are done.
- In a bowl, whisk egg with salt and pepper. Dip the suppli delicately into the egg mixture, let the excess drip off, then into a bowl with the Italian-style breadcrumbs. Cover the suppli with the breadcrumbs to make sure the surface is completely covered by breadcrumbs. Shake off gently to release any loose breadcrumbs. Place on a plate. Repeat until all the suppli are coated.
- In a deep pot pour in peanut oil enough of a depth to just cover suppli. Heat to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place suppli gently into hot oil, be careful not to drop them in. I use a spoon to slowly lower them in.
- Fry for 8-10 minutes or until they are nice and golden brown. Take out of oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Ready to serve!
- Eat immediately when they are still hot!
- You can make suppli with whatever risotto you have leftover. Mushroom risotto would be spectacular also!