- 4 large fresh artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons evo oil
- 275 g Italian pork sausage meat
- 1 1/2 cups rustic bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fine Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup green olives pitted and sliced
- 1/8 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- dash of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Take artichokes, cut off top getting rid of any of the tips and creating a nice flat top.
- Remove any of the dry and bruised outer leaves, and spread open center removing some of the leaves to create a cavity for the stuffing. Rinse with cold water and place in a bowl of cold water and some lemon wedges.
- Break up rustic bread by hand and place in a bowl with the milk. Let soak for a few minutes.
- In a saute pan cook pork sausage meat breaking it up as much as possible. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Squeeze milk out of bread.
- In a large bowl combine sausage meat, bread, fine breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, raisins, olives, 1 tablespoon evo oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well with hands. Check to see that it can be formed; if it can't, add a bit the milk from the bread, set aside.
- Take artichokes out of lemon water bath and let drain and dry.
- With your hands take the stuffing and start to fill the center of the artichoke and press in firmly. Continue this till the artichoke center and is mounded over the top. Continue until all artichokes are stuffed.
- In a deep saute pan place artichoke into pan. Fill with water until it comes halfway up the artichoke. Drizzle in 2 tablespoon evo oil, cover, and place on low heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Steam for 1 hour, turn off heat, let cool a bit and serve.
- This stuffing would be good even in a bell pepper.
- Leave the pan covered during cooking.
- When serving, spoon some of the steaming fluid over the top.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Steaming
- Cuisine: Italian