Strawberries with Sugar and Lemon. Simple, easy, and delicious, it is our go-to Spring dessert as soon as fresh local strawberries start making their appearance at the markets. You need three ingredients and a few minutes of your time to throw together this Italian staple that also your kids will enjoy! And it’s vegan, too!
- 350 g fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ice cream, whipping cream, for the topping, optional
- Wash the strawberries under cold running water, then gently pat them dry them with a paper towel.
- Transfer them to a large bowl, remove the tops, then cut into slices or chunks.
- Sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Add the lemon juice, then toss them gently. Leave them to rest for about 15 minutes before serving. A delicious syrup will form.
- Taste for sweetness, and eventually adjust sugar and/or lemon to your liking.
- Serve your strawberries with sugar and lemon in individual bowls, adding their juices.
You can top your strawberries with whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, a chocolate sauce, or lemon pastry cream. Although, they are delicious on their own.
If you have leftovers, you can make an excellent strawberry topping to be served on pancakes, waffles, ice cream or cakes, simply by cooking the strawberries with their syrup in a saucepan, adding if you want a little more sugar until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Or you can make a macedonia di frutta (fruit salad) chopping up some other seasonal fruit, adjusting the sugar and lemon.