Strawberries with Sugar and Lemon (Fragole con zucchero e limone). Simple, easy, and delicious, it is our go-to Spring dessert as soon as fresh local strawberries start making their appearance at the markets. You need three ingredients and a few minutes of your time to throw together this Italian staple that everyone will enjoy! And it's vegan, too!
Song of the day: Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae
I’ve been enjoying this my entire life, but for many years, I refrained to share it on our blog because of its simplicity. Cut up your strawberries, stir in sugar and lemon, and toss it all together until an irresistible strawberry syrup develops. Sounded too easy, didn't it?
That's an easy recipe!
Actually, it is not even a recipe. More of a suggestion, an inspiration, to have strawberries in a way that preserves their freshness and integrity. Although I like to use them in baked goods too, this still remains my favorite way.
How I do it
- I wash the strawberries under cold running water, then gently pat them dry them with a paper towel.
- Next, I transfer them to a bowl, remove the top, then cut into slices or chunks.
- After, I sprinkle them with sugar.
- Lastly, I add the lemon juice and toss them gently. I usually leave them to rest for about 15 minutes before serving, so that a delicious syrup will form.
How much sugar and lemon?
Well, in this "recipe", for 350 g of strawberries I add 1 tablespoon of cane sugar and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. After they sit for a while and they mingle their flavors, you can taste and adjust to your liking.
A light dessert for a Sunday lunch or dinner
There are times, especially in Spring and Summer, when we do not want to end the meal with a heavy dessert. These Strawberries with sugar and lemon might just be the answer. Since we were kids, my father is the one who makes them for almost every Sunday lunch. The strawberries are plump and juicy, they stay firm but are just slightly soft, sweet and tangy at the same time.
Not only Strawberries with Sugar and Lemon are delicious, fresh, and easy to make, they can also be turned into a luscious dessert:
- topped with whipped cream or ice cream
- with a chocolate sauce or lemon pastry cream
We mostly have them plain, and sometimes with a scoop of ice cream. The best part is getting to the bottom of the bowl to scoop up that lovely juice!
Happy Sunday, Buona Domenica. Enjoy!
Song of the day: Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey RaePrint
- 350 g fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ice cream, whipping cream, for the topping, optional
- Wash the strawberries under cold running water, then gently pat them dry them with a paper towel.
- Transfer them to a large bowl, remove the tops, then cut into slices or chunks.
- Sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Add the lemon juice, then toss them gently. Leave them to rest for about 15 minutes before serving. A delicious syrup will form.
- Taste for sweetness, and eventually adjust sugar and/or lemon to your liking.
- Serve your strawberries with sugar and lemon in individual bowls, adding their juices.
You can top your strawberries with whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, a chocolate sauce, or lemon pastry cream. Although, they are delicious on their own.
If you have leftovers, you can make an excellent strawberry topping to be served on pancakes, waffles, ice cream or cakes, simply by cooking the strawberries with their syrup in a saucepan, adding if you want a little more sugar until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Or you can make a macedonia di frutta (fruit salad) chopping up some other seasonal fruit, adjusting the sugar and lemon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: strawberries, sugar, lemon, dessert, light, spring, healthy, italian
I love baking and kneading dough because it takes me to a happy place in my soul.