- 4 artichokes, cleaned, and cut into quarters (you can also use the tender stem)
- 2 lemons
- e.v.o. oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean the artichokes from the outer leaves, cut the tops. Cut them in half, then in quarters, remove the choke, and leave them in a water bath acidulated with lemon wedges.
- Drain and rinse them under running water.
- Add water to a pot, squeeze in the lemon wedges and add some coarse salt. Throw in the quartered artichokes.
- Steam over medium heat, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until it starts boiling. Remove the lid and keep boiling for about 10 more minutes or until tender but with still a bite. The cooking time depends on the size of your artichokes.
- Drain the artichokes gently with a colander, arrange them on a platter.
- Prepare a citronette dressing with e.v.o. oil, lemon, salt and pepper. (2 parts lemon for 1 part e.v.o. oil).
- Pour it over the artichokes and add a generous sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- Serve with a protein of your choice.
Steamed lemon artichokes are a great side dish for meat, fish, and also on an appetizer platter with cheeses and cold cuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish, Vegan
- Method: Steaming
- Cuisine: Italian