- 1 1/2 cups organic, unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sal (if you use salted butter, omit it)
- 6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature (I used salted butter)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp whipping cream (or heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup colored sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baling powder, baking soda and salt (if using). Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, on high speed, beat the butter, shortening and sugar, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla and beat on low speed until completely incorporated, scraping down the sides with a spatula when needed.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix on low speed just until blended, then add the cream.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the sprinkles.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto 2 ungreased baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies until golden brown around the edges and lightly golden in the center, about 12 minutes, rotating the sheets 180 degrees halfway through baking time.
- Let the cookies cool briefly on the pan on a rack for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies directly to the rack and let cool completely.
- Serve the cookies right away or store in a tin box for up to 5 days.
These cookies, with their cakelike texture, are perfect for making ice cream sandwiches.