A spring medley salad featuring lettuce, avocado, arugula, fingerling potatoes and fresh farm eggs. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and you're set for a tasty lunch.
We love spring, people start to surface from the confines of a wintery home. There is a buzz in the air of newness, freshness. Nature is coming alive and people are wearing colorful things. Overall a happiness in the air that is infectious. The smell of BBQ's going, laughter of kids in the parks. Most of all the produce that begins to surface and themes of freshness, simplicity and flavor fill our palates. Our usual Saturday trip to the Old Strathcona Farmers Market provided us with most of the ingredients and the idea of our lunch that day. We stopped at Doef's Greenhouses for the lettuce, Riverbend Gardens for the potatoes, Sunrise Gardens for the sprouts, Italian Center Shop for the avocado, arugula, extra virgin olive oil, and Mom's cellar for the fresh farm eggs. This dish is the epitome of freshness and flavor, so simple yet delightful you will be pleasantly surprised. A great lunch, very light, and satisfying: Spring Medley Salad.
There is the tenderness of the butter and red leaf lettuce, spiced with the peppery flavor of arugula, soothed by the softness and richness of boiled yellow and red fingerling potatoes, the creaminess of a ripened avocado and always a favorite, a beautifully boiled fresh farm egg coming from a hen that is so cared for it is deliriously happy.
This all comes together with a splashing of good extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and garnished with sugar pea sprouts for the additional crunch and sweetness.
You will be amazed at the flavor of this salad, each ingredient so unique yet complimenting each other so well. Vibrant, cheerful and pleasurable, like every trip to the Farmers Market is.Print
- ¼ head red leaf lettuce
- 2 cups arugula
- 5 butter leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 handful sugar pea sprouts
- 1 avocado
- 1 fresh egg
- 4 fingerling potatoes (red and yellow)
- extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean the fingerling potatoes leaving their skin on and bring them to a boil.
- Boil the egg.
- Wash and chop the lettuce, wash the arugula and the sugar pea sprouts.
- Slice a ripened avocado.
- Drain and cut the potatoes.
- In two medium size bowls arrange the lettuce at the bottom, the arugula, the slices of avocado on one side, the potatoes on the other side, the egg and the pea sprouts on top.
- Finish with a generous amount of salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 2 portions
Disclosure: All links in our posts are NOT affiliate links. Thery are only about products or places we normally purchase and like.