Spinach and Egg Breakfast Pizza, a great way to combine breakfast and dinner in a most delicious way!
Pizza dough (makes 3 x 12-inch pizza):
- 500 g flour type 00 (or all-purpose)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 10 gr. baker's fresh yeast
- 10 gr. fine sea salt
- 300 ml lukewarm water
- 20 ml e.v.o. oil
- 1 cup pureed San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups organic fresh spinach, washed
- 2 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 1 garlic scape, chopped fine
- 1/4 white onion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium mozzarella bocconcini cheese
- 3 medium free range hen eggs
- e.v.o. oil for drizzling
- Pour the flour into the bowl of a food processor.
- In a small bowl, add half of the lukewarm water together with the the yeast and the sugar, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- With the food processor on low/medium speed, pour the yeast dissolved in water into the bowl with flour, then add the oil, salt, and the rest of the water.
- Mix on medium speed until well incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Take dough out of food processor and work it on a lightly floured surface until nice and smooth.
- Divide the dough in 3 balls, place each one in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set to rest in a warm place, away from air drafts (the oven, turned off of course, is perfect). After 2-3 hours the dough will have doubled in size. You can now use it: stretch it and make pizza or wrap it well in plastic and set in the freezer for a later use.
- In a bowl blend the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano, and set aside.
- In a large saute pan drizzle olive oil, and toss in chopped onions and garlic scapes.
- Saute for a minute, then toss in spinach and cover, uncovering frequently to stir as not to burn the spinach on the bottom.
- Saute for about 5 minutes till spinach is well wilted.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 425 F.
- Take one ball of pizza dough and using your hands stretch to the edges of a 12 inch oiled pizza pan.
- Take tomato sauce and spoon onto pizza and spread out leaving a bit of border for a crust edge.
- Take the sauteed spinach and sprinkle sparsley onto sauce.
- Cut up the bocconcini and place evenly on top of spinach.
- Place pizza in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, or till cheese begins to melt and crust is just starting to brown.
- Take out of oven.
- Next crack eggs delicately and carefully drop them on top of pizza, making sure pieces have an egg each.
- Some may not like eggs so you can leave one out, if you want.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some e.v.o. oil and place back in oven.
- Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until pizza crust is golden brown, and eggs are just starting to turn white on the edges of the yolk.
- Take out of oven, and cut, making sure to keep eggs intact.
- Ready to serve.
Remember to factor in the time for the dough to rise about 2-3 hours. Add in a few extra hours if you are using the frozen dough balls, which will need to thaw.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: serves 1-2 people