Spicy Italian Rapini and Cannellini Beans. A true Italian dish that has so much flavor and texture that you will have forkful after forkful until the sad end when it is gone. Earthy meets starchy in this wonderful Italian menagerie!
- 1 bundle Rapini (Broccoli Rabe)
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 can of organic Cannellini Beans (or 1/2 cup dried cannellini bean)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If using dry cannellini beans, place in a bowl of water and soak overnight, rinse, then cook them in boiling salted water till tender, about 30 minutes. Drain beans and set aside.
- If using canned cannellini, rinse beans and set aside to drain in a colander.
- Place a large pot of water on to boil.
- Wash, trim the ends, and cut any bruised or spoiled parts of the rapini and let drain in a colander.
- Throw rapini into the boiling water and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes or until stalks are fork tender. Take out of pot and place in a colander to drain and cool.
- In a medium saute pan heat up olive oil. Throw in garlic, shallots and chili flakes.
- Toss in rapini and saute for about 5 minutes. Add beans and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Drizzle with some additional olive oil and serve with a good bread.
- If you cannot find rapini use broccoli or broccolini.
- Remember, if using dried beans take into account the soaking time and cooking time (overnight plus 30 minutes).