Spelt flour Peach Yogurt Cake. Bring to the table, either for breakfast, snack, or dessert, the simplicity of a yogurt cake with the lusciousness and sweetness of summer peaches. The dusting of icing sugar is so Italian but totally optional.
- 120 g cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 200 g light spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp (16 g/1 sachet) baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 lemon, the zest
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 200 g plain Greek yogurt
- 4 peaches, 2 inside 2 on top
- icing sugar, optional, to dust on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Butter and flour a springform baking pan.
- Peel and chop two peaches and set aside. Peel and slice the other two peaches which you will need for the top.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Grate the zest of the lemon in and mix.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a handheld mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar and the vanilla for a few minutes, until the mixture is light and foamy.
- Next, add the oil slowly, mixing to incorporate. Then, add the yogurt at room temperature and mix.
- Finally, add the sifted flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add the peach chunks to the batter and blend with a spatula, paying attention not to overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the springform pan and level. Arrange the peach slices on the surface, pressing them down a little.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until nice and golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.
- Dust with icing sugar, optional.
You can replace the spelt flour with all-purpose flour.
You can leave the skin on the peaches after washing them, if you like.
The cake stays moist for 3-4 days in a cake dome. I haven't tried freezing it.
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: cake, peach, spelt flour, summer, wholesome, breakfast, dessert, homemade, yogurt