There are many recipes for Banana Bread and they all are very good. I tried to make a delectable and healthy version using spelt flour, sweetening it with honey and sprinkling walnuts on top.
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw, organic honey
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk (I used oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350° F) and line a 20 cm x 5 cm loaf tin, with baking paper hanging over the edges so you can lift it out easily.
- Chop the walnuts and toast for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift the spelt flour, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Beat the olive oil and honey together in a separate bowl. Add the eggs and beat well. Mash the bananas into the mixture, then add in the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add 3/4 of the chopped and toasted walnuts and combine. Leave some to sprinkle on top.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the surface with the moistened back of a spoon or spatula. Top with the rest of the walnuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before lifting out and cooling on a wire rack for a further 30 minutes before slicing.
It is important not to over-mix spelt or you may risk having a crumbly texture.