Spaghetti Primavera with Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes, a celebration of our culture in a most delicious and visually appealing way. Take a wonderfully cooked al dente pasta and toss it with roasted asparagus, multi-colored tomatoes, and a little Italian love and we have a meal that is the epitome of simple yet elegant Italian cuisine combined with what I can only describe as pure deliciousness!
- 300 g spaghetti pasta
- 1 bundle Asparagus washed and cleaned
- 2 cups multi-colored cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cipolline onions
- 2–3 Tbsp E.V.O. oil
- 2 sage leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Crushed sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1 handful pistachio crushed
- a pinch of peperoncino
- 40 g grated ricotta salata
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Take asparagus, shave the fibrous part off the surface of the stems and cut off about 2 inches from the bottom.
- Toss asparagus into the pot of boiling water and blanch for 5 minutes, drain, and set on a large baking sheet.
- Cut tomatoes in half, also cut cipolline into quarters. Take garlic, peel and cut in half. Place all on the sheet with the asparagus and dress with olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, sage. Cook for 15 minutes turning the asparagus halfway through.
- Get a pot of salted water on boil and place spaghetti in and cook according to the package.
- Take the asparagus and cut tips off and cut the stem into about 2 cm lengths. Toss into a pan and add in roasted tomatoes and onion. Make sure to get all those lovely roasting juices into the pan. Drizzle in some olive oil.
- Gently take spaghetti with tongs from the pot and place directly into the pan with the veggies. It does not matter that some of the pasta water goes in. You need that to create the moisture and sauce for the pasta.
- Toss well and sprinkle half the parsley in.
- Place pasta on a plate. Sprinkle with crushed pistachio, grated ricotta salata, chopped parsley, a pinch of peperoncino (optional), and finish with a nice drizzle of olive oil.
- Ready to serve.
- You can grill the asparagus, onions and tomatoes on the BBQ if you want.