Based on the recipe found on Kitchen Sanctuary
- 3 eggs whites
- 280 g almond meal
- 280 g granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 30 ml (1 oz) Amaretto di Saronno liquor
- For rolling:
- granulated sugar
- icing (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325° F (170°C) and line two baking sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold in the almond meal, granulated sugar and vanilla extract.
- Slowly stir in the Amaretto.
- The mixture should be like a thick, sticky, paste that can be formed into a ball in your hand.
- Place the granulated sugar and icing sugar for rolling on two separate plates.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out a chunk of the cookie mixture and roll it into a ball in your hands (about the size of a walnut), repeating the process until you use up all the dough.
- Roll each ball in the granulated sugar first, then roll it in the icing sugar.
- Place on the baking tray and use your index and medium fingers to squash the cookie balls just a tiny bit
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, according to oven and when they are looking a nice golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, leave on the sheets to cool for 5 minutes then allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack.
The Amaretti cookies keep well for 3-5 days in a tin cookie box with a sealed lid. They also freeze well.