Smorgastarta, Swedish Sandwich Cake, truly brings the artist out of you. Intricate layers united by a cream cheese/yogurt spread stepped up in flavor with the moistest and delicious salmon you could ever taste. Add an egg salad and a most beautiful array of color and poise on top, and we have a real surprise in taste and texture. Come with us, let’s Eat the World, and experience Sweden together!
- 12 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup (227 g) cream cheese
For the salmon layer:
- 150 g smoked salmon (plus 20 g for decorating the top)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt/cream cheese mixture
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- touch of pepper
For the egg salad layer:
- 3 boiled eggs, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- smoked salmon rolled into rosettes
- 2–3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced and rolled
- a sprinkle of chopped chives, plus some longer strands
- a handful of pea shoots
- Cut the crusts off of the sliced white bread. Please note that you can use the crust to make croutons or breadcrumbs.
- Mix up the salmon mixture and refrigerate.
- Make up the egg salad and refrigerate.
- Assemble 4 slices onto a large square dish.
- Take salmon mixture and egg salad out of the fridge.
- Spread some of the yogurt/cream cheese mixture all over the bread slices and sprinkle with some of the chopped chives.
- Take the salmon mixture and spread it on top of the yogurt/cream cheese layer, and place four more slices of the bread on top.
- Again, spread the yogurt/cream cheese mixture, and sprinkle some chopped chives. Take the eggs salad and spread it on top creating the second layer.
- Add the last four slices of bread, spread the last of the yogurt/cream cheese mixture and decorate the top with the radish rounds, pea shoot greens, salmon rosettes, carrots rolls, chopped chives, and strands.
- You can follow what we did as you can see in the pictures, or use your own creativity and make it your own. Refrigerate.
- Ready to serve.
- You can use a bread of your choice also, but keep in mind this cake is quite substantial and a heavier bread may take it over the top.
- You can use different ingredients such as shrimp and cucumber and the cake can be decorated to your liking. Just remember have fun, and enjoy how your creativity plays itself out.