Slow Cooker Succulent Pot Roast, a wonderful family style meal full of amazing flavor and ever so tender textures. The best part is it is so easy!
- 1 kg beef sirloin roast
- 8 mixed heritage carrots, peeled, washed, and roughly chopped
- 1 rutabaga peeled, washed and roughly cubed
- 4 medium potatoes, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown mushrooms sliced thick
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp crumbled coriander
- Crushed sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- juices from the bottom of the pan, strained
- In a bowl mix butter, pepper, basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, paprika.
- Place herbed butter on a piece of parchment paper and form a small log. Roll the parchment till you have a nice round log shape and put in the fridge to harden a bit.
- Take roast and with a knife create pockets all around it.
- Take herbed butter out of the fridge and cut small pieces of it and stuff the pockets that you have created in the roast.
- Season with crushed sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat up some olive oil in a cast pan. Place roast into pan and turn to sear the complete surface of the roast, about 10 minutes. Toss in onions, garlic, and mushrooms, and saute for about 2 minutes. Take the roast out and place it in a slow cooker and continue to cook the onions and mushroom mixture until soft and braised, about 8 minutes.
- Pour mixture over roast.
- Now take all the vegetables, potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, garlic, and place in slow cooker with roast and onion-mushroom mixture. Drizzle some olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn slow cooker on high and pour in white wine and vegetable stock. Toss in bay leaves and crushed coriander and stir. Cover and let cook for 5-6 hours.
- Take veggies and roast out of slow cooker and strain all the juices from the pot into a bowl.
- In a saucepan melt 1/8 cup butter and sprinkle with all-purpose flour until it starts to thicken and separate from the pan.
- Pour in strained juices and whisk until it thickens about 2 minutes then pour into a serving dish.
- Take a nice large wood cutting board and place roast in the middle. Surround it with all the vegetables. Place gravy off to the side, sprinkle with some fresh chopped parsley.
- Ready to serve. Enjoy!
- You can use any cut of roast you like.
- If you are going to leave it to cook while you are at work just set cooker to low setting.
- Be creative and use vegetables you like in the mix.