- 4 links of onion and herb sausage (or a flavor of your choosing)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 pre-cooked shrimp
- 4 organic chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of medium salsa
- 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 2 leaves of fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cups yellow onion chopped finely
- 2 stalks green onion chopped
- 2 small banana red peppers diced
- 2 small yellow banana peppers diced.
- 2 small orange banana peppers diced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of San Marzano canned tomatoes pureed
- 1 cup of dried kidney beans
- 1 cup of long basmati rice or any long grain rice
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayene pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Hy's seasoning salt
- For the Creole seasoning: Combine all the ingredients for the seasoning mixing well and place in a shaker container.
- For the Jambalaya: Place dried beans in a large bowl and cover well with water and set aside let soak for about an hour and a half.
- Start off by cooking the sausages in a fry pan with a splash of olive oil, cook through.
- Take sausages out of the pan and on to a cutting board cutting them thinly and on a diagonal, set aside.
- In the same pan drizzle some more olive oil and saute minced garlic, onions, carrots, peppers, zucchini, cooking them for about 10 minutes, then add peas and cook an additional 3 minutes, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of the Creole seasoning, while the vegetables are cooking.
- Take vegetables out of pan and into a slow cooker pot.
- Add tomato puree, vegetable stock, sausages, and fresh parsley.
- Drain beans and place them in the slow cooker.
- Mix well and turn slow cooker to low setting and place cover on, total cooking time 7 hours.
- For the Chicken: In an oven dish place chicken thighs in. Drizzle both side with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with a table spoon of the Creol seasoning on both sides.
- Spread salsa over chicken on coating well. Sprinkle basil oregano and rosemary over chicken.
- Place in two whole cloves of garlic.
- Place in oven covered at 375° F for 40 minutes, uncover for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- Place rice in slow cooker about 35 minutes before serving.
- Place shrimp in about 15 minutes before serving.
Just a note on the cooking time. The total cooking time is 7 hours. The rice would go in around the 6 hour and 25 minute mark, and the shrimp around the 6 hour and 45 minute mark.
The chicken I would put in the pre- heated oven at around the 6 hour 20 minute mark.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Serving Size: 6 servings