Slice and Bake Lemon Crisps. Thin, crunchy, buttery, and melt in your mouth, these cookies rely on their intense lemon flavor and delightful texture to shine among other more dazzling cookies. Don't let their simple appearance fool you, they are a crowd pleaser and you'll see them disappear fast! Based on a vintage recipe found on 'Canadian's Living Country Cooking' bestseller.
- 1/2 cup ( 125 g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 g) cane sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- a sprinkle of cane sugar and lemon zest on top, optional
- Sift the flour with the baking soda, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the softened butter and the sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Then, beat in the egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and blend until fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Next, shape the dough into a cylinder, about 1-3/4 inches (4 cm) in diameter. Wrap the log in plastic and place in the freezer until very firm, 30 minutes/1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (190°C) and line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- After the chilling time, with a sharp knife, cut the cylinder dough into very thin slices. Place the slices on the prepared baking sheets, leaving some room in between the cookies.
- Optional, sprinkle the top with cane sugar and/or grated lemon zest.
- Bake one sheet at a time in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes or until very lightly browned. Leave the other prepared baking sheets in the fridge until ready to bake.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then place on a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container, or freeze.
This recipe makes for a lot of cookies, around 40 or so. They make a wonderful gift and they also freeze well in an airtight container.
- Category: Dessert, cookies
- Method: Baking
Keywords: cookies, lemon crisps, dessert, Christmas, canadian living, easy, delicious, butter