- 1 artichoke
- 1 garlic clove, whole
- 2 tablespoons evo oil
- 5 eggs
- salt and pepper
- First, clean the artichokes: remove part of the stem, cut the tips. Remove the hardest outer leaves, until you get to the more tender ones, then cut the artichokes in half and and then into slices. Remove the inner "beard" (choke) if they have it. Also, cut some of the stem closer to the top and add it to the slices. Leave the artichokes in water acidulated with lemon to prevent them from oxidizing. Then drain, and pat dry.
- Heat the evo oil and garlic whole in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the artichokes, season with a little salt, and cook, stirring often, to brown them on both sides for about 5 minutes.
- Place a lid on the skillet and continue cooking until the artichokes begin to soften, about 5 minutes more. Remove the garlic.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, salt, and pepper together with a whisk or a fork. Add cheese, if using.
- Pour the egg mixture over the artichokes making sure to cover them all. Once the eggs start to cook, poke them with a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon in a few spots so that the raw liquid egg gets to the bottom. This ensures that all of the eggs in the pan cook evenly.
- Replace cover on the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the egg is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes, and the top is almost cooked.
- Place a plate that is wide enough to cover the circumference of the pan or a flat lid and carefully turn it over so that the frittata flips onto it.
- Then, slide it back into the pan with the cooked side facing up. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- When cooked, transfer the artichoke frittata to a serving dish (no need to flip it again). Slice and serve.
For a more intense taste you can mince the garlic and add mint, and/or some cheese to the beaten eggs. Also, if you cannot find artichokes, try replacing it with zucchini. Delicious!
The artichoke frittata is delicious both hot and cold and it keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for a couple of days. Leftover frittata makes a delicious sandwich (panino con frittata).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main, Vegetarian
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: frittata artichokes eggs garlic easy simple stovetop italian light vegetarian spring