Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes, or frittata di carciofi as we say in Italian, is a tasty seasonal recipe that highlights beautiful artichokes in a light and easy frittata cooked on the stovetop.
Stovetop frittata vs. oven baked frittata
In Italy, when we say frittata, we always mean that is cooked on the stovetop and not finished in the oven. We also have oven baked frittata, frittata al forno, but it is baked from the beginning in the oven and it is usually filled with vegetables or cold cuts, and some cheeses. Stovetop frittata is usually pretty thin while oven baked frittata is thicker and more like a crustless quiche.
The ingredients of this Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes
Very few ingredients and very basic. This is what you will need:
- garlic clove
- evo oil
- salt and pepper
- optional: some grated or cubed cheese to add to the egg mixture, and/or some herbs (mint would be lovely with artichokes).
How to make Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes
- First, clean the artichokes: remove part of the stem, cut the tips. Remove the hardest outer leaves, until you get to the more tender ones, then cut the artichokes in half and and then into slices. Remove the inner "beard" (choke) if they have it. Also, cut some of the stem closer to the top and add it to the slices. Leave the artichokes in water acidulated with lemon to prevent them from oxidizing. Then drain, and pat dry.
- Secondly, in a bowl, beat the eggs, salt, and pepper together with a whisk or a fork. At this point, add cheese, if using.
How to cook frittata on the stovetop
- Heat the evo oil and garlic whole in a 9-10 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the artichokes, season with a little salt, and cook, stirring often, to brown them on both sides for about 5 minutes.
- Place a lid on the skillet and continue cooking on low until the artichokes begin to soften, about 5 minutes more. Remove the garlic and space the sliced artichokes so they cover the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over the artichokes making sure to cover them all. Once the eggs start to cook, poke them in a few spots with a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon so that the raw liquid egg gets to the bottom. This ensures that all of the eggs in the pan cook evenly.
- Replace cover on the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the egg is lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes, and the top is about 80% cooked.
- Place a plate that is wide enough to cover the circumference of the pan or a flat lid and carefully turn it over so that the frittata flips onto it, then slide the frittata back into the pan with the cooked side facing up. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- When cooked, transfer the artichoke frittata to a serving dish (no need to flip it again). Slice and serve.
When to have Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes
Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes is a nutritious meal full of protein, fibers, and minerals. In Italy, especially in Rome where I am, artichokes are at their peak season right now. They are beautiful and tender, and we try to take advantage as much as we can. We would have this frittata mainly for lunch or light dinner. Also, it is typical for Easter brunch, and for Easter Monday, Pasquetta, packed with other goodies and taken on an outdoor picnic.
What to serve with Simple stovetop frittata with artichokes
Serve it with a side salad and some bread. Also, in typical Italian fashion, make a sandwich with your leftover frittata. Panino con frittata is a popular lunch or snack all over Italy.