Simple oil-based shortcrust chocolate roll features a crumbly, tender, shortcrust base made with avocado oil, filled with a delightful chocolate hazelnut spread, that is rolled, then baked to golden brown. Perfect treat from breakfast to dessert.
- 150 g organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 free-range egg
- 60 g cane sugar
- 50 ml vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoon chocolate hazelnut spread
- In a bowl, add the egg and the sugar. Blend well with a fork, then add the oil and vanilla.
- Mix well, then add the flour and baking powder. Mix everything, then work it with your hands until you get a smooth dough. Form into a ball.
- Dust some flour on a piece of parchment paper, place the dough on top, and with a floured rolling pin roll the dough to a rectangular shape, not too thin.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate spread leaving the edges clean.
- Roll up from the longest side until you get a roll, then close the two ends by tucking them under. Wrap the roll in the parchment paper and place it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Unwrap the roll and place it on a baking tray. Bake for about 15 minutes, check it so it doesn't burn, it has to be a light golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar and cut into slices that look like small biscotti.
The recipe can easily be doubled and make two rolls.
As for filling, you can use any spread or jam you like.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chocolate hazelnut spread, roll, dessert, sweets, italian, baked, vegetable oil, no butter, shortcrust, easy