Semolina Cake soaked in Orange Blossom Syrup, a delicious super moist semolina cake infused with orange juice and orange blossom water with a little crunch from the topping of coconut and slivered almonds.
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek or regular yogurt, plain
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 cup fine semolina
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup shaved almonds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Place the butter in a ramekin and melt in the microwave. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the sugar, yogurt and coconut cream.
- Add in the milk, semolina, cornmeal, and baking powder.
- Finally stir in the melted butter, and let the mixture sit briefly so that the butter is absorbed.
- Transfer the semolina mixture into a lightly greased 9" round cake pan or baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. If necessary, broil 1-2 minutes, checking the cake constantly, so that the top of the cake gains color.
- When ready, remove from oven.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup.
- Place the water, orange juice and zest in a small saucepan on the stove top.
- Heat till the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and let cook for about 10 minutes (the mixture should reduce about 1/3).
- Remove from heat and add the orange blossom water.
- Let cool completely.
- As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, pour 3/4 of the cool syrup on top and let it absorb into the cake. For best result, let it sit for 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, pour the rest of the juice on top of the cake and add the coconut and shaved almonds.
- Slice and enjoy!
You can substitute the coconut cream with the yogurt, for a total of 1 cup.
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern