Scarola alla Napoletana [Sauteed Escarole with Olives, Raisins, and Pine Nuts] is a simple but elevated dish combining textures and sweet/savory combinations to give you a side dish that will have everyone asking for a second helping.
- about 300 g escarole, cleaned, washed and spun dry
- 3 Tbsp e.v.o. oil
- 1 anchovy fillet in oil (omit, for vegan recipe)
- 1 garlic clove, whole, smashed
- a pinch of chili flakes
- 1 handful black Gaeta olives, halved, pit removed
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp capers (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully wash the head of the escarole, removing the core and separating the leaves. Spun dry.
- Soak the raisins in a bowl with lukewarm water. When plump, drain and set aside with other ingredients.
- In a non-stick frying pan add three tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, the smashed clove of garlic and anchovy fillet. Let the anchovy melt and dissipate in the oil, then add the chili flakes.
- Add the escarole and let it wilt, then add the rest of the ingredients: the oregano, the raisins, the pine nuts and the olives, (the capers, if using) and let it stew for about 10-15 minutes with a lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm with some bread and a drizzle of evo oil.
If the leaves of your escarole are too tough, you can blanch it first, drain, then sautee it in the pan.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: side dish, escarole, raisins, pine nuts, olives, vegetarian, italian