- 160 g Savoiardi cookies, roughly chopped
- 30 g (2 Tbsp) granulated sugar
- 16 g (2 Tbsp) unsweetened cocoa
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Marsala liquor, or Kahlua (or milk, for a kid-friendly option)
- 100 g dark chocolate (at least 51 % cacao)
- 1-2 Tbsp icing sugar (for decoration)
Roughly chop the Savoiardi cookies. You need bigger nuggets that will resemble the salami fat.
On a double boiler, water bath (Bain Marie) over low heat, melt the dark chocolate.
Add the chopped cookies to a large mixing bowl, add the melted butter, cocoa, Marsala (or Kahlua, or milk), sugar and melted chocolate.
Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until combined.
Pour the mixture onto a large piece of parchment paper and roll and stretch to give the form of a salami.
Twist ends to tighten and place it in the fridge to set for at least a couple of hours.
When set, take it out of the fridge, sprinkle icing sugar all over, and spread it with your hands.It makes a beautiful Christmas edible gift, with some baker's twine around and wrapped in brown paper.
- Slice it in 1/4 inch thick rounds. Use a very sharp, thin, knife, not serrated, or it will break the slice.
The total time includes the setting time in the fridge.
The cooking time is for the melting of the butter and the chocolate.
Chop the Savoiardi with a knife, you do not want to pulverize them in a blender, you need bigger chunks.
If you feel it's too dry to roll, add a little more liqueur or milk.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: No-bake
- Cuisine: Italian