- 5 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts), thoroughly rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan filled with salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender (but not falling apart).
- Clean and slice the leeks.
- Melt half of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, thyme and oregano. Cook, stirring often, until leeks soften. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, add the rest of the butter and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually add the warm milk and mashing until creamy (adding more milk if necessary).
- Stir in the cooked leeks and adjust with salt,and pepper.
- Transfer the rustic potato and leek mash to a bowl.
- Top with a pat of butter before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: about 6 side servings