Rustic Pear & Hazelnut Vegan Galette. Making desserts with seasonal fruit is something I love. Today I am using beautiful pears and pairing them with cinnamon, lemon, hazelnuts, on a crust that features olive oil and an unrefined flour. Fragrant, wholesome, delicious.
For the Galette dough:
- 150 g (1 cup) type 2 flour (or any unrefined, stone-ground flour)
- 2 Tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 50–60 ml (about 1/4 ) cold water, you may have some leftover
For the Filling:
- 3 pears, peeled, quartered, then sliced
- 1/2 organic lemon, the juice and zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1–2 Tbsp ground hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar + more to sprinkle on top and border
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, or food processor, add flour, sugar, salt and extra virgin olive oil. Start mixing, then add the cold water a bit at a time. Work -or pulse- the dough fast until it forms a ball (you may have some water leftover). Wrap the ball in plastic and refrigerate for half an hour.
- While the dough is resting, wash, peel, quarter and slice the pears. Put them in a bowl, squeeze half a lemon and grate the zest. Add the cinnamon, stir, and set aside (in the fridge).
- Then, ground the hazelnuts with the cane sugar.
- After the 30-minute resting time, take the dough out of the fridge. Place it on a lightly floured parchment paper, dust some flour on top, then roll it out with a rolling pin to form a disk 1/2 cm thick.
- Spread the hazelnut/sugar mixture on the base of the galette, leaving a border empty.
- Arrange the sliced pears over the hazelnut mixture, going around and slightly overlapping, until you cover the base of the galette (be creative).
- Fold the border on the filling so as to cover it a little bit. Sprinkle the top and border with cane sugar.
- Transfer the parchment with the galette on a baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool slightly, then slice and enjoy.
The prep time includes the 30 minute resting time in the fridge.
You can serve it plain or with whipped cream/coconut cream, or ice/nice cream.
It keeps for a couple of days in an airtight container.