- A head of Romanesco broccoli
- 1 large carrot chopped
- A stalk of celery chopped
- 1/4 white Spanish onion (or yellow onion) chopped
- 1 stalk of green onion chopped
- 2 sprigs of chives chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 potato
- 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large pita bread
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of oregano
- Wash and cut the broccoli into pieces.
- In a nice cast pot drizzle in olive oil bring to medium heat then toss in onion, green onion, celery, and carrots. Cook till onion is translucent.
- Put in broccoli and potato and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Toss in chives and bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Lower heat. Cover and let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add in sour cream and mix well.
- Cover again and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and with a handheld blender puree till a smooth creamy consistency is achieved.
- Crumble 1 tablespoon of blue cheese per bowl placing it gently on top of the soup so it does not submerge.
- Sprinkle a pinch of chopped chives on top.
- For the pita, drizzle oil into a cast pan. Place pita in and let cook till golden. Flip over and do the same to the other side.
- Take out of the pan, brush with more olive oil and sprinkle with some oregano. Cut into long slices and serve with the soup.
If you can't find the Romanesco broccoli use one that you can find.
Also if you don't have a cast pot then just use a normal one.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Romaneso broccoli, soup, sour cream, chives, blue cheese, mirepoix, bay leaf, potato, lunch idea, Italian, vegetarian,