For the hummus:
- 4 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cooked split red lentils
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup evo oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp each za'atar, sumac
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp evo oil
- red pepper flakes, sumac, or za’atar for garnish
- pomegranate seeds, a handful of chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse lentils and place in a pot with water just coming over the lentils. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potato, olive oil, salt and pepper. Dump onto the prepared baking sheet, arrange in a single layer and bake for about 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sweet potatoes will be golden and tender when done. Remove from the oven and let cool down to room temperature.
- Place the roasted sweet potatoes, cooked split red lentils, lemon juice, vegetable oil, olive oil, tahini, garlic, za'atar, sumac, and pinch of red chili flakes in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Scoop the hummus out of the food processor with a spatula and into a bowl. Use the spatula to create a lovely swirl on the surface of the hummus.
- Sprinkle the top with red pepper flakes, sumac, and za’atar. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and a sprinkling of fresh chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve at room temperature
- Serve with warmed up pita, or a nice warm crusty bread. Naan chips are wonderful too, along with your favorite crackers.
- Want to make it ultra healthy, serve this hummus with some veggies like, carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers.
If you do not want it too spicy omit the red chili flakes. As far as the garnishing, be creative, come up with your own take on this hummus.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: Oven/processor
- Cuisine: Middle eastern
Keywords: hummus, Middle eastern cuisine, garlic, pomegranate, sumac, zaatar, dips, healthy, vegetarian,